Wednesday, October 19, 2011

More Fiery Torches

Philippians 2:15-16 ...Shine as lights in the world; holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice...


I know it's been a few days since I've written but, believe me, God has been very busy.  Isn't He always!! It's just that, He has been giving me bits and pieces. I know He will be adding more to what I have (once again, doesn't He always!).

Very often, my Lord reveals things to me during worship. Sunday morning, as I was worshipping, Holy Spirit opened my eyes to see various people holding torches. Some of the torches were flaming but others were dead sticks. The choir was worshipping their hearts out and many of them were holding out their torch trying to get the ones who had no fire to extend their dead stick and become ignited. It was so sad that it broke my heart for the ones that weren't even aware they had no fire. They honestly thought they were ok and standing there, unmoving, like stones. They stood there expressionless, passionless, holding onto something that was dead.

I feel I should tell you that I had my eyes closed the entire time and that God did not reveal specific people to me. When this happens it means He is revealing what He wants me to pray about. I have been praying for the Holy Spirit fire to fall in our church. Oh, He has, that's for sure. But I want to see what happens when EVERYONE is in one accord like on the day of Pentecost, when the body of Christ isn't divided over some issue because of our stupid pride. Religion causes so many to be an immovable "stick in the mud" because they won't receive something "new." When all the while God is wanting to do a new thing and it is about to spring forth but they want to hold onto their dead stick.

May I just quote Solomon in saying, "There is nothing new under the sun." That means anything I have a question about, the answer is already written. I just have to take the time to seek. What's wrong with change, may I ask? Change stirs some people up, it excites them. But others are terrified of the word or even the thought.  Change often means we have to move. It could simply be a rearranging of things, a literal packing up and physically moving, a spiritual move, or a new attitude. It means getting out of that stodgy old comfort zone you have built around yourself. Change is doing or experiencing something new and different.

I've always had a bit of the gypsy in my soul. Moving has never phased me much, in fact I like moving. Weird, I know!! But the shaking, on the other hand, (as in being a mover and a shaker) has always made me a little nervous. I've found that shaking some people up is like putting your torch into a hornet's nest. Ouch!! But God has called us to be salt and light. A torch gives light to the bearer and to those around them. A light can be seen a long way off, a light draws others because it has power, warmth, and even, yes--LOVE. God is Love and Light and Life and Truth and I could go on and on.

There is something my Lord has given me to do, and it's not easy because in order to do it, I really stand out. This has also put me through the fire. However, my God reminded me that the fire isn't to destroy me, it is to refine me so that I reflect His glory even more.

Recently I told God that I didn't think I wanted to do "it" anymore because "it" was rejected by some other believers.  I told Him that I didn't like standing out and being condemned, judged, and criticized. God told me, "You are a light and lights stand out. They are not condemning you, they are condemning Me."

I have to admit, I've learned so much more through this fire than I ever would have learned standing on the sidelines. There are things I never would have gleaned from His Word, had I not faced this trial and really pressed into Him. God's people can be so heartless and thoughtless at times. I am just as guilty so that makes me so much more grateful because I am learning to keep my mouth shut and take my cares to Him and search His Word. This has made me consider others first, before I open my mouth. In Matt. 25:40 Jesus said, "What you have done unto the least of these My brethren, you have done it unto Me." That's serious business!! We, as children of God, need to deeply consider this before we act out. What have I done to others? Jesus takes it personal.

There are so many more thoughts coming to me and I could go on but this is already pretty long. I think it's time for a deeper self-evaluation. Am I being Christ in this world, in my actions toward other people, in the words I speak? I pray with David, "Search me oh God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts. And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24) AMEN.

Blessings,
Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment